Not Your Typical Call for Papers
BJS Editorial Collective
The Berkeley Journal of Sociology is seeking submissions. Our aim is to provide critical perspectives from the social sciences on public debates and current events as well as critical reviews of social scientific knowledge. Please circulate this call.
The Berkeley Journal of Sociology is seeking submissions. Since its relaunch in 2013 the BJS has set out to write the “history of the present.” Instead of publishing traditional academic research articles, we have featured compelling essays, insightful commentaries, critical analyses, and topical symposiums on the most pressing political and cultural issues of the day. Our aim is to provide critical perspectives from the social sciences on public debates and current events as well as critical reviews of social scientific knowledge. We have a rolling submission system for online articles.
The BJS is accepting the following kinds of submissions on topical issues or debates:
- Research essays: narrative analyses driven by empirical evidence
- Commentary: social scientific assessments and critiques of events, journalistic coverage, recent reports, and public discourse
- Conversations: interviews on topical subjects and debates.
- Field memos: elaborations of experiences in the field as they relate to contemporary social struggles, political debates, or social-scientific practice
- Photo essays: sociological and visual critiques from your research sites
- Non-traditional book reviews: essays that use recently published or canonical books as launching pads to discuss broader issues.
- Forums: propose and organize a set of 3 – 6 articles with colleagues on a specific topic to be published in a series on our site
To get a sense of the wide range of content we have published, take a look at our current print issue or browse through the archives at berkeleyjournal.org.
For submissions instructions and guidelines, see: www.berkeleyjournal.org/submissions.
Submissions for the print edition are due by March 1, 2019. If you wish, you may contact us to inquire about specific ideas or proposals before the deadline. Email submissions (and questions about submissions) to email@example.com.